The Nicks crack open the next named section of the LoTR story and discuss the way the story changes its narrative style and the suspense that comes with it. Boromir's departure from the Fellowship and Aragorn gets some clarity about his mission.
Map of Middle-earth
LoTRproject.com interactive map - Caution: spoilers for new readers!
Notes for this episode
- Aragorn on the seat of Amon Hen
- The world seems darkened, and there was nothing to see
- THE HORN OF GONDOR!
- Aragorn came too late and missed the fight
- Boromir is dying
- Sword: broken above the hilt
- Horn: cloven in two
- Pierced by many arrows
- The Hobbits are taken!
- Aragorn doesn’t know what to do
- 1 Find the Ring and the Bearer
- 2 Go to Minas Tirith as bidden by his heart and Boromir’s dying wish
- 3 Find the Halflings
- Everything he has done today is turned to ruin
- Gimli and Legolas slaying in the woods, also too late to help
- The Hobbits were bound, therefore likely still alive
- Finding the Hobbit knives
- Symbols of the enemy
- Strange looking orcs
- White Hand
- White ‘S’
- Not Sauron - Red Eye
- Saruman - Evil is afoot, and the west is no longer safe
- Tending the fallen.
- Cannot bury him
- Give him to Anduin - the River of Gondor
- Carry him back to the river - hard to do with Boromir being so large and strong
- Lay him in the boat, and made him presentable.
- Towed the boat into the water
- Let him go, and he disappeared over Rauros
- “Rauros roared on unchanging”
- Boromir was not seen again in Minas Tirith
- It was said that he road his boat down the river all the way to the sea.
- The song of sorrow - The “people” hearken to the winds for news of Boromir (West, South, and North)
- Only two boats a mystery
- No orcs
- 2 packs gone also - Sam’s for sure
- Aragorn puts the story together by Sam’s words and apparent actions
- Frodo and Sam have taken the boat across the river
- What to do?
- Take the last boat after Frodo
- Or follow the orcs
- The direct path to Minas Tirith is apparently no longer an option
- Aragorn’s personal mission is abandoned for the moment
- Aragorn finally knows what he must do - The company has played its part
- He must chase after the other hobbits or they will be left to torment and death.
- “My heart speaks clearly at last. The fate of the Bearer is in my hands no longer”
- “Yet we that remain cannot forsake our companions while we have strength left.”
- “We will press on by day and dark… with hope or without hope we will follow the trail of our enemies, and woe to them if we prove the swifter. We will make such a chase that will be accounted a marvel among the three kindreds: elves, dwarves, and men. Forth the three hunters!”
- His mind was, at last, made up and the hunt begins!
Google Play Music
Special thanks to our friend Harry Murrell for the use of his music. Listen to more and subscribe to his channel here.