The Nicks discuss the journey down the great river, the speed at which our Fellowship is cutting across the landscape, and the dangers it holds on either bank. Also discussing the desire to do more recordings with less interference from real life.
Map of Middle-earth
LoTRproject.com interactive map - Caution: spoilers for new readers!
Notes for this episode
THEY GOT STUFF
THEY’S ON A RIVER
THEY GOTS BOATS
The Story in this Chapter:
- Floating down the river is boring
- Landscapes change
- Aragorn lets the fellowship kind of just drift along… they don’t paddle too much.
- Merry, Pippin, and Boromir | Aragorn, Frodo, and Sam | Legolas and Gimli
- Boromir acting strangely
- Sam sees eyes and strange logs floating alongside them - or is it catching up with them?
- Sam takes the watch - wakes Frodo
- Frodo sees a thing! Draws Sting and it flees!
- Aragorn wakes and says that he’s seen it too… and even tried to catch... HIM?!
- They spot an eagle high up in the sky - at the same time they are approaching the Emyn Muil on the Eastern shore - Rohan on the Western shore
- Aragorn knows rapids are coming. They catch him off guard because he’s never traveled by water through this area.
- Even Sam helps to paddle
- They have to turn around IN THE RAPIDS
- All together paddle!
- Orcs! Yrch!
- Gollum’s doing?
- Twangs of bowstrings -- they hit Frodo!
- A deeper blackness in the sky
- Legolas shoots it down
- The orcs seem to retreat
- Fellowship reach the safety of the opposite shore, and wait out the night
- Confusion about the moon… Aragorn finally reveals that they spent a lot more time in Lorien than any of them expected. -- Winter is almost over!!!
- In the morning Aragorn and Legolas scout the portage road around the rapids
- It’s easy to find
- It is not as hard to carry everything as it could be.
- Boromir and Aragorn carry the boats
- Rapids (Sarn Gebir)
- BEHOLD THE ARGONATH!
- Parth Galen the grassy shore on the western side
- Nen Hithoel - the lake above Rauros
- Amon Hen - the Hill of Seeing - The Seat of Seeing - Western Shore
- Amon Lhaw - the Hill of Hearing - Eastern Shore
- Tol Brandir - The island in the middle of Nen Hithoel where none has ever set foot.
- Rauros - The great falls of the Anduin
Google Play Music
"Five Armies" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
Special thanks to our friend Harry Murrell for the use of his music. Listen to more and subscribe to his channel here.